For the love of Rod – Transfer Round-Up (18/06/2019)

Now that was quite a remarkable day in the world of transfers! There finally appears to be a breakthrough in the Rodri saga, a Cancelo deal edged closer to completion and we look set to steal a promising young player for half of his actual value. Is this really Manchester City we’re talking about?! Welcome to your daily round-up of transfer news…

Rodri’s decision made

After much deliberation over whether to stay at Atletico Madrid or make a move to Manchester City or Bayern Munich, Rodri has decided to make the move to the Etihad Stadium (first reported by EL PAÍS Deportes)this summer having been convinced that his role will be a crucial one for years to come by Pep Guardiola, reports Cadena SER.

According to Mundo Deportivo, Rodri himself is said to believe he can become the best player in the world in his position, at the Etihad Stadium, under the coaching of Pep Guardiola.

(Juan Manuel Serrano Arce/Getty Images)

City have been quick to respond as, according to Sam Lee and Fabrizio Romano, the Blues intend on paying Rodri’s £62.5million release clause as soon as possible, whilst also opening up contract negotiations with the Spaniard. The 22-year-old will be offered over £100,000 per week, reports Sam Lee of Goal, as well as performance-related bonuses that can be triggered throughout the season.

Bayern Munich have also offered to sign the defensive midfielder, and he had seriously considered staying at Atleti earlier in the summer. But it is now believed that City are his chosen option and are still overwhelming favourites to get the deal done in the coming days, according to Sam Lee and Dominic King of the Daily Mail.

It appears that, at long last, City will get this deal over the line! 

Even more developments on Cancelo!

The likeliness of a City deal for Juventus right-back João Cancelo is decidedly less clear than that of a deal for Rodri.

Calcio Mercato state that the negotiations over personal terms with the player and his agent are already completed, but that the stumbling block of the €10million difference between the two club’s valuations of the player remains. Mercato have also said that there is now agreement from all corners, and that the signing will be “closed” in a short period.

(Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)

James Ducker of the Telegraph claims that no such stumbling block exists, and that City are expected to have a £45million bid accepted. The Guardian have gone even lower with their expected fee, saying that £40million plus Danilo should be enough to do the deal, although the Italian champions would prefer exclusively cash in order to fund a move for the Portuguese’s replacement.

This is one saga that looks set to rumble on for a while longer, although the media will tell you otherwise…

Homecoming Hero?!

Far from the record fees rumoured to be required for the recruitment of Rodri and Joao Cancelo, reports suggest the Blues could pick up left-back cover for as little as €6million in the form of PSV’s Angeliño. Rik Elfrink of Eindhovens Dagblad stated that although the previous figure is being reported by the English press, it has been denied by all camps.

Although some outlets suggest the Spaniard’s buy-back clause (he played for City for four years, leaving for the Dutch side in 2018) is €12million, most sources agree on one thing; he will be returning to Manchester.

Eindhovens Dagblad say the deal is “almost certain” to go through, and Reon Boeringa claims that the 22-year-old is on his way to England to finalise his signing. The Spaniard was also absent from PSV’s first training session ahead of their upcoming UEFA Champions League qualifier.

(EMMANUEL DUNAND/AFP/Getty Images)

The biggest development in this story came late on Tuesday evening, with a story from NU.NL, who were able to get the view of PSV manager Mark Van Bommel. The 42-year-old confirmed that the club had given the Spaniard permission to speak to Manchester City, potentially suggesting that a release clause was on the verge of being activated by the Premier League club. Van Bommel then stated:

“If Angeliño leaves tomorrow, I don’t know if we will have a successor the day after tomorrow. If only it were like that. We are dealing with clubs, agents, money, players, it is not all that easy.”

Can Angeliño threaten Oleksandr Zinchenko and Benjamin Mendy for a starting spot?

Rewarding Kyle

Building on from previous reports suggesting Kyle Walker was on the verge of joining Oleksandr Zinchenko in signing a new contract at Manchester City, James Robson of the Evening Standard stated that a two-year-contract extension has been signed by the England international, despite being convinced that the club will bring in competition for his place in the City side – likely to be Joao Cancelo of Juventus, who will be given the opportunity to establish himself as first choice right-back at Manchester City.

This new deal is claimed to be worth around £180,000-per-week, keeping him at the Etihad Stadium until 2024. An official announcement by the club is said to be made this week.

(Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

One young ‘target’ missed, one a done deal…

Last week we brought you the rumour that City were looking to sign Cruzeiro defender Murilo for £30million as a replacement for Vincent Kompany. Well, there is now no hope of such a deal taking place, as the 22-year-old has signed for Russian team Lokomotiv Moscow on a 5-year deal. That was short-lived, and we’re not surprised.

On the other end of the scale, City have completed a deal for 15-year-old Oscar Bobb from Vålerenga Fotball. The Norwegian is described by VG as a “super-talent” and will join City when he turns 16.

Welcome Oscar, we’re hoping for big things! 

(Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)

You can follow us on Twitter for everything Manchester City: @City_Xtra

You can follow us for everything Manchester City women: @MCWFCXtra

Related posts

Leave a Reply