Transfer Round-Up (25/05/19)

After several days of quick-fire updates surrounding the future of a certain German winger, Saturday brought some relatively welcoming news regarding the future of Leroy Sane. Here’s the complete round-up of everything transfer-related at Manchester City on the first day of this bank holiday weekend.

MISSION ANDERLECHT

Saturday morning saw confirmation of the second departure from the Etihad Stadium, to the same club. Manchester City U23 coach Simon Davies officially joined Vincent Kompany’s coaching staff at RSC Anderlecht, in what appears to be a major summer ahead for the Jupiler Pro League side who are in desperate need of a rebuild.

Upon joining the former Manchester City captain at Anderlecht, Davies said: “When Vinny asked me to make the move with him to RSC Anderlecht, I didn’t doubt. We are starting a beautiful project: taking RSC Anderlecht back to the place where they belong, with special emphasis on the development of talented young players.”

It was reported earlier this week that the role of Davies would be that of an assistant manager. Vincent Kompany would be the man behind the tactics, squad selections and team meetings, and during times when the Belgian defender will be on the pitch, Simon Davies will oversee the implementation of such tactics from the touchline.

HAMMERING ON THE DOOR

With Fabian Delph almost certain to be moved on this summer, a new name was reported earlier today with West Ham United said to be ‘monitoring’ the situation of the 29-year-old.

It was of course former Manchester City and now West Ham boss, Manuel Pellegrini, who signed Delph from Aston Villa in 2015. For a mere £8 million, the Englishman has been a fantastic servant at the club and it has only been as a result of his mishaps this season that many have forgotten his remarkable rise of 2017/18, when he was transformed into a full-back by Pep Guardiola.

However, with the rise of Oleksandr Zinchenko, the strength in midfield and the faith that has been put into Benjamin Mendy ahead of next season, Fabian will almost certainly have to look elsewhere for game time. We reported earlier this week that Leeds United may also be interested in their former player, who spent eight years at Elland Road from 2001. However, the £15 million valuation placed on the England international may prove to be an issue in finding any deal with the Championship side.

THERE’S STILL HOPE YET

Despite days of consecutive updates on a development in the transfer of Leroy Sane from Manchester City to Bayern Munich, Saturday morning brought a very welcome update. It was reported by both Goal and ESPN that officials at the Etihad Stadium are set to make a ‘last-ditch’ attempt to renew the contract of the German winger, and talks between his representatives are set to be held ‘in the coming days’.

This update comes after the most significant turn of events in recent days, with several sources stating that Bayern Munich had placed their first official bid of £80 million. Details of the offer were also brought to our attention by Nicolò Schira, who stated that a contract worth €10 million per year until 2024 had been presented to the 23-year-old.

This ‘saga’ is far from over just yet. It would be silly to presume that a deal to Bayern Munich is set in stone, with Manchester City seemingly doing all they can to both keep the player, and also negotiate the right price for the winger if contract talks don’t go as planned. As stated by Sam Lee of Goal, the situation is still very much 50/50.

SIMPLY A CASE OF ‘FABRICATED INTEREST’?

Nobody saw this one coming, and it’s quite obvious why. Manchester City with an interest in Marcus Rashford of Manchester United?! That’s the claim by Metro Sport, who state that the 21-year-old’s representatives have pointed out interest from the Etihad Stadium in the latest round of contract talks with officials from Old Trafford.

In the words of Jose Mourinho, I have nothing to say…

DESTINATION MADRID?

The final story of the day came from Nicolo Schira providing an update on the situation surrounding Nicolas Otamendi. It doesn’t come as a surprise that the defender is attracting interest from Atletico Madrid, given the pending departure of Diego Godin. Talks between the two clubs are said to be ‘ongoing’ with Los Rojiblancos offering a fee in the region of €20m.

A move for the Argentina international would appear to be a wise decision given the recent updates surrounding the plans for the central defence positions. We’ve reported in recent weeks that a central defender may in fact be a priority for Pep Guardiola’s side, with Leicester City’s Harry Maguire being prioritised over Ajax starlet Matthijs De Ligt, who is attracting serious interest from across town. The major stumbling block in any move for Maguire would be the price tag, with some reports suggesting he is valued around £90 million by the Foxes.

You can follow us on twitter for everything Manchester City: @City_Xtra

Related posts

Leave a Reply