As the January transfer window starts to pick up steam, Manchester City are being shrouded in reports regarding their centre-back positions, and who’s surprised?!
Here’s how Saturday unfolded in the world of Manchester City transfer gossip…
Reinier on the radar
We start with a report from last night, when Manchester City were one of a number of clubs linked with a young attacking midfielder from South America. Reinier, a 17-year-old who plays for Flamengo, is said to have also piqued the interest of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Coach Jorge Jesus recently stated that the player would be sold for “many millions” to a European giant, with the price tag being estimated at €30m.
However, the big talk today has been about the central defender vacancy in the squad – and it looks like Pep Guardiola could be considering promoting from within. Reports from reputed Manchester City-focused journalist Jonathan Smith of Goal, suggests that Txiki Begiristain will meet with Spaniard Eric Garcia’s representatives, with the objective of signing him to a long-term contract. This comes as Pep himself has compared the youngster to Barcelona legend Sergio Busquets.
Another new option on the defensive radar could be Merih Demiral of Juventus. Manchester City are said to be interested, along with three German teams and Leicester City – but the Italian champions seem adamant that the 21-year-old isn’t for sale. They may be persuaded, with their current options perhaps sufficient for now, but Manchester City will likely have to look elsewhere…
No to Soyuncu
It seems that they won’t be looking in Leicester, though. Journalist Martin Blackburn reported today that the club are insisting they have no interest in the Foxes’ Caglar Soyuncu, and have NOT made any bid. The Turkish defender has impressed for Brendan Rodgers’ side so far this season and has been linked with the Citizens for several weeks, but this news suggests the Etihad club aren’t nearly as keen as some publications claimed.
You can follow us for live updates here: @City_Xtra