It’s finally September, and while Manchester City’s 2019/20 campaign is firmly underway, it doesn’t completely feel like the season has begun until EA’s annual release of the latest and greatest edition in the FIFA franchise.
In the wake of the Blues’ triumphant Centurian season, FIFA 19 unsurprisingly saw Manchester City receive a number of notable rating boosts to the squad’s top performers. In particular, Ederson, Fernandinho, Leroy Sane, and Raheem Sterling saw their FIFA stats rocket to meet their top-notch performances from City’s Premier League-winning campaign.
In part three of our three-part rating predictions, we take a look at those at the forefront of our goalscoring elite and whether their remarkable antics in front of goal last season has earned them all a well-deserved upgrade in the latest edition of the FIFA franchise! Agree or disagree with any of our predictions? Make sure to let us know your views by leaving or comment or tweeting us via @City_Xtra!
Raheem Sterling – 89 (FIFA 19 Rating: 85) (+4)
- Raheem Sterling was magnificent for Manchester City last season. The PFA Young Player of the Year played over 4000 minutes, scoring 25 goals and assisting an additional 18. For those reasons, it’s possible FIFA boost his rating into the 90+ club, but I suspect he’ll fall a point short. Still, a major bump from FIFA 19’s oddly low starting rating of 85.
Leroy Sane – 88 (FIFA 19 Rating: 86) (+2)
- While City fans will have to cope with the reality that Leroy Sane won’t return to the pitch until March (and even then, he might not be playing in sky blue!), fortunately, FIFA fans will not. Despite a frustrating campaign for Sane in terms of match minutes, the talented German still managed to have a huge impact on City’s success, scoring a pair of the club’s most crucial goals of the year against Liverpool and Manchester United, respectively. It was another impressive season for Sane, one which should see a few points tacked onto his FIFA rating.
Bernardo Silva – 88 (FIFA 19 Rating: 84) (+4)
- Bernardo Silva was brilliant last season and, for my money, will continue to develop into one of the best attacking midfielders/wingers in the world. Bernardo’s on the ball skills, movement, and relentless hustle were rewarded with starts in all but seven matches in the Premier League in 2018-19. He’ll be a mainstay at City for years to come and, at 25, fans can expect his FIFA rating to continue its rise.
Sergio Aguero – 88 (FIFA 19 Rating: 89) (-1)
- Sergio Aguero was unsurprisingly at his goal-hawking best in 2018-19, smashing an impressive 21 Premier League goals for City, enough for 4th most in English top-flight football and just one away from the golden boot. With that said, Aguero is 31 and, despite his consistency in form, it’s difficult to see FIFA boosting the Argentine’s rating at this point in his career.
Gabriel Jesus – 85 (FIFA 19 Rating: 83) (+2)
- Jesus was a quintessential super sub last season, earning only eight starts but coming off the bench in 21 matches. At 22, there is so much room to grow for the Brazilian forward, and with Sergio Aguero entering the twilight of his legendary career, I expect Jesus to earn more starts than ever this season, perhaps beginning to reverse roles with Aguero. However, for the time being, Jesus will continue his steady rise in rating, picking up two points after a 21-goal season in 2018-19.
Riyad Mahrez – 84 (FIFA 19 Rating: 85) (-1)
- Riyad Mahrez struggled at times last season to flourish under Pep’s system. However, he scored some big goals and enjoyed a nice run of form at the end of last season. I predict he’ll drop a point in FIFA 20, but with Sane sidelined for much of the coming season, don’t be surprised if he earns a few Team of Week cards and his FIFA 21 rating shoots back up to 85 or 86.
You can find part one here: https://mcfcxtra.com/2019/09/04/fifa-20-manchester-city-player-rating-predictions-part-one/
You can find part two here: https://mcfcxtra.com/2019/09/05/fifa-20-manchester-city-player-rating-predictions-part-two/
You can follow the author here: @andrewspears1
You can follow us on twitter here: @City_Xtra