Very little in the way of major developments on Tuesday, however two completed deals and an exciting teenage prospect seemingly inches away from completing a transfer to the Etihad Stadium brought about some level of excitement for City fans. The latest on Leroy Sane and Asier Riesgo was also provided as well as much more, in today’s transfer round-up.
HOW JOAO LIKE THAT
According to Gazetta Italy, it appears that Manchester City are ready to up the ante and secure the signing of Juventus full back Joao Cancelo.
Gazetta have reported today that City have finally tabled an improved offer for Cancelo with a reported fee of £45m plus a handful of bonuses that could see the fee rise to £50m – it remains unclear whether the offer will be accepted or not.
It’s all beginning to become a bit repetitive with the Leroy Sane links to Bayern. Yesterday, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was sniffing around, before that it was Bayern Munich players whilst on international duty and today it’s Bayern head coach Nico Kovac – if this doesn’t ooze blatant poaching or even tapping up then what is….
Head of Football Reporter at BILD, Christian Falk, reported that when Nico Kovac was asked if he would like to see Sane at Bayern he said ‘Yes. Full stop. Exclamation mark’ further adding ‘He could definitely help us. You saw in the national team and at City what qualities he has’.
It appears that the German champions are beginning to get a little desperate in their pursuit of a winger by going about their business in a very unprofessional and public manner. Nico Kovac has identified both Leroy Sane and Ousmane Dembele as targets to replace the departed Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben – the BILD reporter has stated that his sources close to Bayern have said that only one of the two targets would be possible and not both. Bayern are waiting on a signal from either of the players clubs to make a move.
Good news for City fans – recently a few reports from a number of sources suggested that Nicolas Otamendi was on Atletico Madrid’s radar as a replacement for Diego Godin.
Today Mundo Deportivo reported that the arrival of Brazilian left back Renan Lodi will take up Atletico’s last non-EU spot in the squad, therefore a move for Otamendi would be impossible. Diego Simeone’s side have now identified that Mario Hermoso or Ajax and Dutch International Daly Blind, will be their primary targets at centre-back.
DEL BOY TO MERSEYSIDE
Last week we reported that Fabian Delph may be on his way to Turkey to join current Super Lig Champions Galatasary, however new reports from Sky Sports News today are suggesting that Delph may be staying in the Premier League, this time with Everton.
The midfielder-come-defender only featured 11 times last season for City in the top flight. The arrival of Rodri in midfield and new addition Angelino joining Aleksandr Zinchenko and Benjamin Mendy in the competition for left back will only limit Delph’s playing time opportunities even more.
Bleacher Report’s Brazilian expert Marcus Alves has stated that Gabriel Jesus’ team have received enquiries from some ‘interesting’ clubs from around Europe such as AS Roma and Atletico Madrid. However City’s number nine has opted to stick with Manchester City for ‘at least one more year’.
ARO READY NOTTINGHAM?
Well it’s been a very busy day for Manchester City keeper Aro Muric – he’s headed out on loan to Championship outfit Nottingham Forest for the season as well as also signing a contract extension with City until 2024.
Aro Muric has had his say on the recent developments to the official club website:
“Extending my current deal with City by a further three years is incredible and an honour for me. I really enjoyed the 2018/19 season and to be involved in our successful Carabao Cup run was an amazing experience.
The players and supporters have made me feel so happy and part of everything and the Club have showed their belief in me with this deal. I want to be the best I can under Pep Guardiola and I’m learning from the very best in the business with Ederson and Claudio Bravo at the Club.
Going on loan to Nottingham Forest will give me the opportunity to gain more first-team experience and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
AUF WIEDERSEHEN ZACK
Zack Steffen has only just arrived at Manchester City however, today it has been confirmed that the USA International will be spending the season on-loan at Bundesliga outfit Fortuna Dusseldorf.
Dusseldorf board member Lutz Pfannensteil has said, “Zack Steffen is a modern goalkeeper who brings everything. He is technically very well educated, strong in one one situations and his football is outstanding.”
Yesterday, we reported the news of Manchester City adding another exciting teenage talent, Morgan Rogers. According to the Sun and several other news outlets today, it appears that this move is almost complete with the England U17 International due to complete a medical with the club.
The 16-year-old was due to fly out with the rest of the West Brom squad to Spain for their pre-season tour, however was held back amidst interest from Manchester City. Such was the seriousness of interest from the Premier League champions, Txiki Begiristain is said to have lead negotiations and finalised a deal.
A more recent report via Sam Wallace of the Daily Telegraph has indicated that the move is already complete and City will have to wait 17 days for Rogers to sign a professional contract on his 17th birthday.
OLÁ SPORTING CITY
Rumours are flying around of a partnership between Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon and Manchester City and according to O Jogo this was kickstarted by the imminent arrival of Felix Correira. The deal is said to be worth £7m however Sporting will now only be getting half of this fee with the other half used as a ‘guarantee’ between the two clubs for future dealings.
O Jogo add that both clubs will now cooperate in their scouting systems. Sporting will also be able to sign more expensive players due to financial assistance from City, whilst City will get priority over players involved in deals. Sporting president Frederico Varandas is currently in Manchester meeting Txiki Begiristain about the partnership between the two clubs, and should join Sporting at their preseason training camp in Switzerland.
THEY DON’T THINK IT’S ALL OVER
Go back around two week and you would’ve thought this one was a certainty, and it might still be, however a report from Mundo Deportivo suggests that Eibar have not given up hope in retaining the services of veteran goalkeeper Asier Riesgo. Manager Fran Garagarza does not consider the 35-year-olds time at the club to be over stating in the report; ‘his renewal still stands‘.
Go back around two weeks and missing out on the services of Riesgo would not have been disastrous, however with the departures of Zack Steffen and Arijanet Muric, it leaves the inexperienced Daniel Grimshaw in the position of 3rd choice goalkeeper, should a deal not take place between the two clubs.
You can follow us on twitter for everything Manchester City: @City_Xtra
You can follow us here for everything Manchester City women: @MCWFCXtra